Friday, May 18, 2012

Pet Spiders and Sweet Basil

I haven't written anything in a couple of days because I've been in and out of the house a lot. So, the other day when I went to take my grandsons to baseball practice, my oldest grandson met me at the door with a horrible spider in a bowl and said it was his new pet. I absolutely loathe spiders, Actually, I'm really scared of them. Kyle and I searched the internet until we found the spider he had and discovered, to my great relief, that they aren't poisonous. We dropped his three brothers off at baseball practice, then Kyle and I went to the store and I bought each of the boys a plastic home for their nasty pets. Kyle put his spider in his bug house and caught a grasshopper and moth for his pet to eat. His brothers were equally happy to get their bug houses. They caught grasshoppers to put in them, but wanted a spider like Kyle had. The next morning I told my daughter-in-law, Jennifer, that her nephews wanted a spider for their bug house and she started looking around and found two spiders and captured them. I found one in my house, blah, and after much screaming, jumping up and down, and running in place, I caught him and put him in a bowl. This was an amazing feat for me, as I was incredibly terrified. That night, I took the boys their new pets and they were ecstatic. Now I'm waiting until they get more bug houses at the store so I can get three more for the other grandkids. It's nice that they're all so easy to please.

Today my sister and I were in Tyler all day and we went to Drug Emporium, where I found lemon and myrrh essential oil. I've wanted these two essential oils for a few weeks, but had to wait for a Tyler trip to finally get to buy them. The problem is, I've waited to get them for so long that I can't remember what I wanted the myrrh for. But it doesn't really matter. There's always something I can use it in. 
Sweet Basil
A few days ago I potted my little sweet basil and put them in the greenhouse until they adjusted to being in their new pots. A little bit ago I put the pots in the front yard with my other potted herbs to see if they were strong enough to survive this Texas sun. I'll have to keep a close watch over them the next few days to make sure the sun isn't too much for them. Sweet basil is one of my favorite herbs, the smell of it always reminds me of spaghetti. Basil has so many different uses, it"s used in cooking fish and poultry, and is delicious when cooked with pasta, rice, eggs, tomatoes and all kinds of vegetables. It also tastes good in sauces, soups and stews. Basil is an excellent herb when used to make vinegar and oil. I've used basil to make oil and vinegar in the past and either one of them are a perfect addition to salads. During the spring and summer when I have basil growing, I go out every day and pick a leaf and put it in my pocket so I can smell it all day long. Oh, how I love that smell.

I also brought out the two long rectangle pots of calendula and put them on the patio of my fountain.   I hope the cats stay out of them, they won't really be safe from the cats until they get a little bigger and cover up the dirt more.  I'll have to check them several times a day to see if they're getting droopy. I can't wait until the flowers grow, as I have plans for them. I'll let some of the flowers die on the stem so I can use the seeds for growing more calendula next year. The rest of them will be used in tea and herbal medicines. I'm impatiently waiting for them to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment