Monday, May 21, 2012

Hibiscus, trial and error

Hibiscus
A month ago I went to Lowe's and while I was looking at roses, I walked past a bunch of Hibiscus. Some of them had the biggest prettiest flowers on them, so I decided I needed two of them. I brought them home and planted one on each side of my fountain. After a month, they're still alive, so this makes me very hopeful for their continuing success. I've bought Hibiscus a couple of times over the years but they don't live very long. I think I always buy them too late in the growing season, and here in Texas, that's a big no-no. Also, this time I planted them in the front yard and they get way more water than when I plant them in the back yard. You know what they say, out of sight, out of mind. I think whoever said that first was referring to neglected plants stuck off in some random corner of the yard.
Both of my Hibiscus are a foot tall and ten inches wide, which makes this flower look HUGE. I measured the flower and it's a little over six inches wide. So pretty. I can't wait until my little plants have many many flowers every single day...I have plans for them. Have you ever had Hibiscus tea? If not, you should try it. That's what I'm going to do with the flowers, but for now I'm leaving them alone, as they don't grow too many flowers yet. The flowers bloom early in the morning and live only for that one day. Needless to say, I'll be picking them like crazy in a year or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment