Monday, July 2, 2012

Homemede Spoon and Fork Wind Chimes

15 years ago, Vannoy, Tina, Teena and I went to Beaver's Bend to spend the weekend, as we did every year in October. While we were there, we went to the gift shop and I saw the cutest wind chimes. I looked at them and decided I could make some of those myself. I thought about those wind chimes the rest of the weekend, and by the time I got home, I knew what I wanted to do.

Bent prongs
I had several old spoons and forks that were my grandmothers and this is what I used because I knew I would have the wind chimes forever and I wanted them to be special. I found five spoons and one fork that I wanted to use and my husband drilled a hole in the end of each handle; I used wire pliers to very carefully bend each prong on the fork. The outside prongs were bent straight out (East and West), and the two inside prongs were bent, one in each direction, (North and South). This made the prongs look like a plus sign. Then I got a pair of pointy nose pliers and carefully curled the tip of each prong up to form a loop (I had to use three forks before I could curl all of the prongs tips without breaking one). I took one of the spoons and a hammer and went to the road and beat the bowl part of the spoon until it was flat; this spoon was for hanging from the middle of the fork.


Spoon and Fork Wind Chimes
I used 5 inch long pieces of chain to attach the spoons to the fork and used another 5 inch long piece of chain to attach to the fork handle for hanging (I attached a round key chain to the other end of the hanging chain). When I attached the spoons, I hung the flattened spoon in the middle of the fork and the other four spoons from the four corners.
My wind chime makes a beautiful "ting" noise when the wind blows and is also a very interesting conversation piece. These wind chimes are perfect to hang from a shephard's hook in your garden.
This wind chime looks just like the one at the gift shop in Beaver's Bend. Not only did I save $16. 97 by making my own, I had a fun craft day and now I'll always have a piece of my amazing grandmother with me in my garden.  I think of her every time I look at my wind chimes. I have two of these wind chimes, as I made one with big spoons and one with little spoons.

1 comment:

  1. Very special! Do inexpensive version and repurpose old flatware found at thrift or dollar store. Hanging them in your shop will make everyone smile.

    ReplyDelete