Saturday, July 28, 2012

Hamsters, Frogs, Hermit Crabs, Fish, and My Newest Pet

I used to have two hamsters, Kizmet and Mojo, I loved those hamsters. I had them for two years and they finally died within one month of each other. Within a couple of days, I missed my hamsters so much that I went right up and bought two more hamsters, Zeppelin and Mozart. I loved my new hamsters just as much as I did my other hamsters.  Two years later they both died within three months of each other. I was so sad, but after four years of hamsters, I decided I was done. I got rid of the cages and all of the tubes, toys, hamster balls, food, everything.  I felt free cuz I didn't have to feed them anymore, or put them in their hamster balls every day so they could get exercise, or clean out cages anymore (I hated that part).
Over the last couple of years, I've had frogs, hermit crabs, and fish but after several months of having each one of them, I would give them away because...well, I was tired of catching crickets for the frogs, the crabs were boring, and I got tired of adding water to the aquarium for the fish AND the tanks took up so much room.

Lately, I've been fighting the urge to get birds.  BIRDS!!!  Can you imagine? I had two parakeets 30 years ago and there were constantly feathers and seeds EVERYWHERE. I woke up vacuuming and went to bed vacuuming. It was horrible. A few months ago, I told Vannoy, my sister, that when I started looking at birds in pet stores or talking about wanting birds that it was her job to make me come to my senses. She talked me out of wanting birds a few times just by saying, "Remember how much you hate all of the feathers and seeds." That's all it took to keep birds out of my house. 

I want a lizard too but when I convince myself that I N-E-E-D one, I talk myself out of it. All I have to do is think of my grandson, Kyle. A couple of years ago he went outside at my house and found a blue-tailed lizard. He picked it up and screamed cuz the lizard bit him. It was hanging from the tip of his finger. I had no idea that they would bite you.
Venus Flytrap
Isn't it cute? It's so tiny. I know the
toothpicks look like some kind of flytrap
torture device, but they're not. I'm trying to
make the little flytraps evenly spaced out
so I won't be driven crazy by the
unevenness of it.
Yesterday I found the perfect house pet. I went to the store and as I was walking through lawn and garden, I saw a bunch of Venus Flytraps. I found the prettiest one and bought it.  When I got home I got on the Internet and researched flytraps to see how to raise them. I hope I don't kill it. I think this will be the perfect pet for me. I don't have to feed it, or put it in a ball so it can exercise, or give it a bath like the crabs, or clean out its cage, and I won't have to vacuum up and feathers and seeds. PERFECT PET! The grandkids will have fun feeding it bugs.  All I have to do is try to remember to give it bottled water a couple of times a week.
I completely forgot to mention Borealis. That's my Beta. In December I'll have him for three years. He's so pretty. I give him bottled water too. I'm not getting rid of him, he's been through a lot with me. He's a good fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment