Tuesday, June 19, 2012

My Grandson, The Herbalist

My oldest grandson, Kyle, is 14 years old, and has "career goal # 2" lined up.  When he was four years old, he decided he was going to college to major in art and computers, because that's the two things that he loved more than anything.  That's been the "Big Plan" for years and I've encouraged him to follow his dream ever since then, but about a year or two ago, he became interested in herbs.  At first, he was drawn to the planting, smelling, and cooking aspect of herbs, which is what draws most of us in the beginning.  About six months ago, he really has been drawn to the healing realm of herbalism.  When I make my medicinal herbal supplies, he always has a lot of questions and wants to know exactly what I use to make each item. 

It was a couple of months ago when I realized his questions went way past normal curiosity, he was actually intensely interested in herbs and essential oils.  I came upon this realization when we were talking one day about the different aspects of herbal healing, and Kyle said, "I want to be an Herbalist."

I was so stunned.  I had no idea that Kyle was THAT interested in herbal remedies.  We talked about his decision to become an Herbalist for a little bit and while we were talking, it came to me that for the last couple of years, Kyle really hasn't talked about college, art and computers.  He'd lost interest in that career a long time ago and I didn't even notice.  He's so happy with his new career goal and I haven't seen him this interested in anything in years.  Now that I know that's his goal, I'll encourage him all I can.  I'm tickled pink to have a budding Herbalist on my hands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment