Thursday, June 21, 2012

Homemade Yellow Jacket Trap

I woke up bright and early this morning and decided it was a good day to cut my Rosemary and make some herbal medicinal supplies.  I grabbed my big colander and scissors and went out into the yard to attack my rosemary.  I was cutting away on one section of one of my Rosemary and decided to move to another section.  After I moved, I was happily cutting away when I noticed a yellow jacket next to my hand.  I moved away a little bit so I wouldn't disturb it.  Then I noticed another yellow jacket sitting on the colander I was holding, so I kind of moved the scissors next to make him to make him move.  He flew in a little circle and landed on my shirt.  I looked down at him and noticed another one on my pants, another one on my arm and several swarming around me...AAHHHH!!  Instantly, I went into self-survival mode and started screaming, jumping up and down, running in circles, and swinging my scissors around like a baseball bat to try to deflect them.  No matter what I did, they stayed right next to me, so I took off for the house as fast as I could go.  I opened the door and ran inside.  When I was in the house, I looked down and was grateful to see I still had my colander of rosemary in my hand. 

I waited about 15 minutes and grabbed my colander and scissors and tiptoed back out to my rosemary, but this time I stayed as far away from the "contaminated" area as I could.  Moving as little as possible, I began very quietly, cutting more rosemary.  It felt sort of like I was stealing someone else's rosemary, as I was forced to cut it so cautiously and quietly.  Needless to say, I never cut rosemary so fast in my life. 

Wasp Trap
Bottle and 2 inches of Kool-Aid with extra sugar
My next mission is to kill those yellow jackets without using any kind of spray, as I don't want chemicals anywhere near my herbs.  I heard one time that you can get a bottle and put a couple of inches of sweet liquid in it and set it outside and the yellow jackets/wasps will fly inside to drink the liquid and can't get out.  I've thought about this often because I know my hummingbirds can't get to the feeders sometimes because of the yellow jackets/wasps.  I just set the trap a few minutes ago.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I put 2 inches of Kool-Aid in the bottle and EXTRA sugar.  Hope that will lure them in, then we'll let the trap, hopefully, do what it's supposed to do.  I think I'll get my binoculars because I have no desire to go next to that bottle and look inside to see if any of them have been trapped by the enticingly sweet liquid inside. 
I did notice something as I stealthily crept over to my rosemary to place the trap in a strategic spot.  If you notice, to the left at the top of the bottle is a dead sprig of rosemary.  This sucks for me.  I know that if I don't hurry up and get that dead sprig off of the plant, it will keep dying back until I'm forced to cut off a whole entire limb.  The reason this sucks is because the dead sprig is in the vicinity of the enemy, and the enemy is dying to sting me because I interrupted their nap time.  After it's been dark for a couple of hours, I'll go out and cut the dead sprig off when the yellow jackets are sleeping.  Until a little bit ago, I completely forgot that yellow jackets and red wasps LOVE LOVE LOVE my rosemary.  : (

No comments:

Post a Comment